Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Cheerful Lollipop Cookies


This is one of those stories where what you were initially trying to make went totally, horribly wrong, but instead of giving up, you manage to salvage something that wound up being pretty cute in the end.

I have had this obsession lately with trying to do activities and read books in themes at home. It used to work really well when Nick was younger. Probably, because he had no say in the activity, or at least couldn't articulate it. But now it is a little bit trickier. For instance, Nick had zero interest in reading Valentine's books at home, or doing any crafts related to the holiday. And while I was bummed a little, I understood.

Not easily deterred, I decided I would try again with St. Patrick's day. I ordered books online...mostly about naughty little Leprachans, and that did the trick: seeing what mischief the Leprachans got into. What fun!

So, after reading our books, I set out to make some rainbow sugar cookies. I used margarine, a yogurt based margarine, which I normally wouldn't use (I generally just use butter) and it was melt-y and sticky, so I could not form it into the rainbow properly.

I didn't want to completely give up, so I just swirled the different colored dough together, and thought "those look like lollipops." I popped sticks in before baking them, and voila! Cute little lollipop cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment